31 March, 2010

Beginning Oracle Application Express 4

That’s the title of the book I’ve agreed to write for APRESS, or at least the working title.

The book will be aimed at new comers to Application Express, introducing them to the environment via the development of a full system and using as many of the new features as possible. However, I’m hoping that it will be useful for people who have dipped their toes in the waters of 3.2 and want to get up to speed on what 4.0 has to offer. The book is due to hit shelved early next year, so it’s a ways off. But as APEX 4 is still only in Early Adopter, that’s probably a good thing.

This is the first time I’ve attempted anything like this, and I’m taking it on with more than just a little trepidation. However my good friends, and business partners Scott Spendolini and John Scott (Co-Authors of the APRESS book Pro Oracle Application Express) assure me that it’s a wonderful experience that I will cherish for the rest of my days! (Actually John said that the two best days are the day you start it and the day you finish, and I believe that to be closer to the truth!)

I’m going to be blogging about my experience. Both about writing the book and about some of the things I learn along the way. So watch this space for more on the book and my travels along the APEX 4.0 path.

Wish me luck!

8 comments:

Patrick Wolf said...

Good Luck! :-)

dmcghan said...

Congrats and good luck!

Regards,
Dan

MD said...

Hi Gault, I saw your book at apress books but still alpha, congrats.
When will this book be published?

MD Friady said...

Hi Gault, I saw your book at apress books but still alpha, Congrats. When will this book be published?

Christopher said...

Good luck with the book. Having written two books, I have to say that John is mistaken. The only good day is the day you finish. ;-) But that day is very, VERY satisfying.

Shye Wilkanski said...

Doug,

I've just purchased the 'Alpha' version of the Book from the APRESS sight. I'm reading through the 2 chapters available for download.

Do you have an ETA for some additional chapters of the book?

Shye.

mfoconsulting said...

Hello Doug,

It's nice to write a book on Apex 4.0.
As an old Apex programmer Apex 2.5 now all my applications have been ported to Apex 4.0.2.
The main issue is security... the Exposure of the URL f?p via the browser is a waekness.
Hope to read how to avoid this problem..
Are you explaining in detail in your book , the way to avoid APEX URL Tampering?
How to use APEX Computations?

etc...

I've ordererd your book via Amazon us

best regards

MFOConsulting

mfoggiato1702@gmail.com

mfoconsulting said...

Hello Doug,

It's nice to write a book on Apex 4.0.
As an old Apex programmer Apex 2.5 now all my applications have been ported to Apex 4.0.2.
The main issue is security... the Exposure of the URL f?p via the browser is a waekness.
Hope to read how to avoid this problem..
Are you explaining in detail in your book , the way to avoid APEX URL Tampering?
How to use APEX Computations?

etc...

I've ordererd your book via Amazon us

best regards

MFOConsulting

mfoggiato1702@gmail.com